Monday, March 10, 2014

'Pin the Armor on the Knight' Activity


It's been awhile since I've posted.  My husband was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis around the new year and we've both been going through a lot of things, especially emotionally.  I haven't felt up to doing much blogging, but today I had the kids do an activity that I thought would be fun to share.

We're on our Middle Ages unit right now and the students LOVE learning anything they can about castles, knights, etc.  We've spent a few days learning about a knight's job and training.  Today we focused on his armor and weapons.  We read a short reading passage followed by a matching worksheet to get down the names of the different pieces of armor.  Then, we played "Pin the Armor on the Knight," which is just like "Pin the Tail on the Donkey."  A very simple concept, but the students loved it.

This is one of those activities that I'll look forward to each time I teach this unit, especially now that I have all the materials made up.  If you had asked me last week how I felt while I was tracing, gluing, coloring, laminating, and cutting, I would have told you I was an idiot for coming up with this idea.  Has that ever happened to you?  All the work paid off though today because my students had a lot of fun and it got me excited about teaching even on the Monday after Daylight Savings Time.  (Trust me, my body KNEW it was 5:30 instead of 6:30 when I was driving to work today.  No amount of caffeine could fool it.)
























You could use this simple party game for a variety of topics.  A few that come to my mind for Social Studies are the different states in the U.S. or different countries on a continent.  Science could do the planets in the solar system or the parts of an apple, pumpkin, etc.  Here's the process I used to create this game:
  1. Project a picture of a knight onto a large piece of butcher paper.  Use a black permanent marker to trace and make all the kids think you're an amazing artist. :)
  2. On another piece of equal-sized butcher paper, trace just the outline of the knight's body.
  3. Color the knight.  Apparently the cheap boxes of crayons I have for my room do not include gray, so I had to use some extra chalk the art teacher had.
  4. Because butcher paper is so flimsy and I wanted this to last, I glued the knight onto gray pieces of construction paper.  I probably used about 10 pieces total to cover the entire picture.  If you plan on using the pieces more than once, I highly recommend making the paper more sturdy so it'll hold up longer.
  5. Cut the knight into pre-determined pieces.
  6. Laminate and cut out again.
If you do something like this in your classroom and blog about it, leave the link in the comments section.  I'd love to see what you did and how it turned out.

3 comments:

  1. ZipADeeDooDah Designs sent me to say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ZipADeeDooDah Designs sent me to say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ZipADeeDooDah Designs sent me to say hi! wendy 1stgradefireworks

    ReplyDelete