Monday, June 24, 2013

6th Grade, Here I Come!

Well, it's been official for awhile, but I haven't said anything online yet.  I will not be teaching 3rd grade next year and am moving up to the 6th grade level in a middle school.  This was my choice and I couldn't be more happy about it!  I will also only be teaching one subject for this first year, which is Social Studies (my fav!).  I have so many ideas that I can't contain them and I'm looking forward to a new experience with a grade level I already know I love.

With this change from elementary to middle, I've had lots of professional development so far this summer.  I'll be leaving for California in July for another training on AVID, a program at my new school.  It's been hard to absorb it all coming after a very stressful year, but I've got a break for a few weeks to unwind a little bit.

I haven't had time to work on any new products lately, but during my PD, I did run across an amazing resource for social studies teachers that I wanted to share.  It's called 'Reading Like a Historian' from the Stanford History Education Group.  Maybe you've already heard of it, but if not, you should really check it out!  We had one of the founders come and speak to us for the day and I was really impressed with how these lessons incorporate primary sources from a variety of viewpoints and get students to think critically about historical questions.  The website has tons of lessons that you can download with powerpoints and copies of the primary sources used.  The majority of the lessons come from U.S. history, but there are a dozen or so that I'll be using this year for world history.  If you click the screenshot below, it'll take you to the website.  If you've used these before, I'd love to know how it went.  I'm in no way affiliated with this group, but their lessons got me really excited about the upcoming year, so I thought I'd share! 

Hope your summers are going well for you!
 

9 comments:

  1. Welcome to 6th grade! Sixth is my favorite grade to teach... it had better be because I start my 33rd year in sixth grade this fall! I can NOT believe how the time has passed. Enjoy!

    Angela
    The Teacher's Desk 6

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 33 years?!? WOW! Congrats to you, Angela! :)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your "promotion." I hope that you have a wonderful year. What type of Social Studies will you be teaching, geography? world history? U.S. history? I can't remember what I learned in sixth grade-although I'm sure that it's changed since 1992 :) Either way, have an awesome summer and year!!!

    :) Nicole
    Tadpole Tidbits
    www.mrscorbitt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Nicole! I think it changes depending on which state you're in, but we'll start the year with a little geography, but the bulk of the curriculum in world history. So, the ancient Egyptians, Rome, Greece, etc. We end the year talking about WWII and present-day America,so we kind of get a little bit of everything, but the main focus is world civ. Hope you're enjoying your summer as well! :)

      Delete
  3. Welcome to sixth grade! I teach sixth grade language arts and social studies and really enjoy the content. My curriculum is all ancient civilizations. If you are teaching the same thing I'd be happy to share my LiveBinder with you of all the online resources I found last year.

    Jamie
    Sixth Grade Tales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie,
      This year I'm only teaching SS, but next year I'll be teaching a mix of LA and SS, just like you! We are doing ancient civ as well, so I'd LOVE to see anything you have to share! I have some resources, but this being the first year I'll teach only SS, it's definitely not enough. Thank you!! ;P

      Delete
  4. I am moving from 3rd to 6th as well! I can't wait to follow your blog further for more ideas! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! Have you taught 6th before? I moved down from 6th to teach 3rd for a year, so I'm familiar with what I'm getting myself into, but honestly, I think 6th might be "my" grade. We'll see if I feel that way after teaching one subject in a middle school. Good luck next year! You'll do wonderful, I'm sure!

      Delete
  5. Hi, I'm a new 6th grade teacher. I'm needing a blue print to follow. The reason I say that is that I'm needing this year to be as easy as possible because my focus will definitely be divided as I will be the computer lab teacher too. Also, and I apologize in advance if this is too much information, but my husband is fighting brain cancer right now as well. So, I'm looking for a system that will work and won't be too intense. I taught 5th grade last year at a different school, and moved to be closer to home. Any advice or help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Mary

    ReplyDelete