Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler!

One of my favorite holidays to celebrate with my students is coming up.  No...it's not Valentine's Day!  It's Mardi Gras!  My family is from the New Orleans, Louisiana area so it's always really fun to teach my kids about my heritage.  Many of them have never even heard of it out here.  Heck, my last name is actually a cajun sausage dish.  It is also a very awful slang term that gets you laughed at by the passport stampers in France, but I digress...


I usually do the whole she-bang with my class.  We start off learning a little bit about the history of Mardi Gras and how it's celebrated today.  We play a little game with common Cajun french phrases and I award students with their own bead necklaces.  We end our mini celebration with a traditional King Cake and I love watching the students get all excited when they search their pieces for the plastic baby.  It's so much fun and I created this Mardi Gras Mini Pack to help others celebrate it as well.  The meatiest part is the informational booklet, but it also has a few simple worksheets that I plan on using for morning work.


Click on the photo above to check it out in my TPT store!

4 comments:

  1. Your blog is too cute!! I love it! I'm your newest follower. Thanks for sharing!

    adventuresofroom129.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! I'm so happy to have you! :)

      Delete
  2. We used to live in New Orleans, and I too love sharing the whole experience with my students. I go into a lot of detail about the parades and ladders and the FAMILY atmosphere (which is hard to believe!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always get a little nervous because people don't immediately think of child-friendly when they think of Mardi Gras, but it really is too bad it has that kind of reputation.

      Delete