Thursday, September 20, 2012

Trouble in Paradise...

Hey, all!  It's been awhile since I've updated and I apologize for that!  It's been a really rough start to the year for me.  I have a couple of interesting students this year that have a talent for storytelling.  Combine that with parents who believe everything an 8 year-old says and don't bother to ask the teacher her side of the story before going to the principal and that's been my year in a nutshell.  I know that people say the parents are the same wherever you go, but my experience has taught me otherwise.  I teach in a very affluent district where most of the moms don't have to work.  This is great for parent involvement, but it's really hard on the teachers because our time is constantly taken up with the tiniest of complaints.  Many of these parents can't help but put off this superior attitude when they talk to the teachers and I've never heard of teachers receiving such awful emails before.  My experiences aren't even as bad as some other teachers I know, but I'm very sensitive, which is my biggest downfall as a government worker.

Let me tell you a hypothetical story. Little Sally doesn't bring her homework one morning.  The teacher says, "Alright, well, try to remember it tomorrow."  Two days later the teacher is called down to the office because a parent came in and said their child was made to stand in the front of the room while the teacher encouraged the other students to berate Sally for not bringing her homework and call her names.  As an educator, I know that a teacher would have to be nuts to do something like that to a child.  I find it especially hard to believe not only because it sounds so awful, but also because I don't really believe someone chooses a job that pays $28,000 annually for the money.  To top it off, this parent claims to have authenticated this story with another student in the class.  Keep in mind that this is the first the teacher is hearing of the incident because the parent didn't feel the need to address the issue with the teacher first.  The teacher is shocked of course when she hears the accusations against her and asks for the principal to schedule a meeting with the parent during her lunch time.  The parent arrives, the teacher gets to tell her side of the story which includes how the student admitted to her that the story had been made up, but the parent spends twenty minutes yelling and talking down to her because her child was getting called names on the bus after school.  Somehow in her mind there was a connection between the homework incident in the morning and the teasing on the bus after school.  Her logic said that had the homework "incident" never of happened, her child wouldn't have been teased.  The parent proceeded to say that she took it upon herself to contact every other parent in the class and let them know what kind of things were being done by the teacher so they would all be aware.  The best part is that the child who corroborated Sally's story isn't even in the same class as Sally. The meeting ended with the parent stating she did not want Sally taken out of the teacher's class because the teacher had a good reputation and the kind of structure Sally needs.  The principal says she won't remove the child and does nothing else.  The end.

Are we all sleepy now? :)  So, once again, I'm sorry I've been absent and I'm sorry for this negative post, but I'm just really feeling down lately about my job and have lost a lot of motivation.  I know I need to remember all the good times and keep working hard, but I'm feeling very under-appreciated, underpaid, and overworked. :( I hope everyone else's year is going much better though!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry! I had two sets of parents last year who were hateful towards me all year. You have to remember you're doing it for the kids, and just get through it!

    Julie
    Math is Elementary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so needed to read this today. I am in a similar boat. I work at a private school where the parents feel as if I work for them because they pay tuition. It is a small town and they all get together and to talk. They have decided I am a horrible teacher because children who have made A's previously (1st grade) now make B's and C's......glad to know it is not just me having one of those days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man that SUCKS. Kill them with kindness and hopefully a year in your class will make their kids better citizens than their parents. Stay confident insecurity is most likely the cause for their condisention.
    Amanda
    www.rockstarsatwork@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete