Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Falling Leaf Silhouettes

We managed to get through enough Reading Street to do our first official art project!  Hooray!  I was given boxes of chalk by one of my favorite colleagues who left me for another non-teaching position last year and I really wanted to put them to good use.  Since fall is (almost) here, we chose to decorate our room with falling leaves.  I wanted to actually teach a little about art, so we made silhouettes and talked about positive and negative space in a picture.  My hubby came up with this idea 'cuz he's a billion times more artsy than I am. It was a little messy, but I think they turned out really cute and the kiddos had a blast.  They were so excited to come into the room and see the leaves hanging from the ceiling this morning.




This is how we made them:
  • All students need: a glue stick, scissors, chalk, paper towels, a piece of white paper and a piece of black paper of equal size, string, white crayon
  • Have students use multiple colors of chalk to color both sides of their white pieces of paper.  I encouraged students to only use colors we'd naturally see on leaves (red, brown, orange, yellow, green, etc).
  • Student should draw the shape of a leaf on their black piece of paper with a white crayon.  (I had them use a pencil first in case they didn't like how the leaf turned out and wanted to try again.)  Using scissors, they cut out around their leaf, taking care to only have two pieces when they're done: the leaf itself and the rest of the paper all in one piece.
  • Use a paper towel to wipe off excess chalk on both sides and glue the leaf on one side and the negative space on the other.  Hole punch and tie string so that it can be hung from the ceiling.



This one on the left is my favorite because it looks like a hand giving the finger! :)  (It's been a long week and a half.  Give me a break! lol)

If you try it out, I'd love to see pictures! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment