Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Fun and Games

Well, lookie here!  It took me months to get to 50 followers and all of a sudden, I've reached the 100 mark.  Welcome to all my newest followers out there.  I'm sooo happy you found me! :)  Just knowing someone is reading really motivates me to be more creative and productive as a teacher.  Not that I didn't always try to be before I blogged, but you know what I mean!  If you haven't entered my fabulous first giveaway yet, check out my previous post and get on it!  There's a few great prizes, one of which is a whopper from 3rd Grade's a Hoot!

I've been working really hard on trying to make my future Reading Street literacy centers more fun and I've (finally) finished two games I'm very proud of!  The first coincides with Unit 1, Week 2 and the second with Unit 1, Week 3.  Of course, these are skills all 3rd graders should know, so you don't have to use Reading Street to benefit from these practice games.

'Fishing for Plurals' is a go fish type game that gives students a chance to practice changing singular nouns to plurals and vice versa.  It focuses on plurals -s, -es, and -ies.  Click on the photo to check it out at my TPT store.

'Around the Bases' was a pain in the butt to make, but out of everything I've made for Reading Street so far, I'm probably most excited to use this with my kiddos.  It's a baseball themed game that gives students a chance to practice using base words (get it, bases? Sorry, I love puns!) with the endings -ed, -ing, -er, and -est.  They get to move around the bases as they make and spell real words correctly and try to score as many runs as they can.  This game has lots of little extras, too, like a spelling tips reference sheet, an answer key with all the possible words that can be made from the bases and endings in the game, and cute baseball-themed game pieces.  Click the pic to see it in my TPT store.

I'm going to go work in my classroom tomorrow bright and early so I should probably get to bed sometime soon.  The new school year is going to be a rude awakening for me as I've just now got my whole sleeping-in schedule figured out! :) 

6 comments:

  1. GREAT centers! We just started using Reading Street this year so I am downloading all your resources :)

    Quick question.. how did you adhere your labels on your toolbox? I was just going to use tape but that I would see how you did it :)

    Thanks!

    -Jena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jena,
      I just used double-sided tape and put it along the sides. You can't see it and it seems to hold just fine!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your growth. Count me as your newest follower. I found your blog on ProTeacher and it is very cute and full of nice ideas. Please visit my new blog at http://www.historyquesters.com. I am trying to build it. Perhaps you can guestblog when it grows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra! Guestblogging could be fun! I'll check your blog out.

      Delete
  3. I found you listed as a favorite blog of The Real Teachr, glad I did!
    A 3rd grade teacher and you use Reading Street 2011! I am one of your newest
    followers!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete