Sunday, March 25, 2012

Owls, Owls Everywhere!

I have a weakness for cutesy owls. I  mean, who doesn't? My classroom is currently owl-themed and has been for two years.  I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it that way when I move to 3rd in the fall, but I have already decided on my beginning of the year bulletin board.  It will say, "Look Whooo's in Third Grade!" and I will have a bunch of owls on a tree, with student names written on the leaves below the owls.

I realize the idea's not all that original, especially since my very first bulletin board ever was very similar with "Look Whooo's in Our Class!"  I used store-bought Carson-Dellosa owls and while they were cute, the board I thought was still a little blah.  I'm all about bright colors, so I've been putting my poor sister to work (she's visiting from Illinois) and I've been making my own owls using fun scrapbooking paper.  I free-handed a template for the owls (which is available below or for FREE on my TPT store) and I laminated them after they were all glued together. It's taking some time since I have to make thirty, but they're turning out so well I think! The hardest part for me has been deciding which patterns and colors to put together.  I think I have great taste when it comes to that, but my sister is a graphic designer and doesn't always agree, lol!


Here are a few of the ones I've finished already.  Like I said before, they take a lot of work if you're making them en mass, but they're very quick and easy to work up for a cute little accent or decoration for the classroom if you don't want to make a class set.  Each owl takes about 5-10 minutes to complete, not counting laminating time.

I'll post pictures in the fall when I have this bulletin board put up. I'm hoping to use a colleague's Cricut to make the letters fun and bright this summer.  We'll see how that works out!

Until next time,
Rebecca

5 comments:

  1. Very cute owls!

    I love your blog too!

    I still have a control freak obsession about being absent. I have not taken a sick day in 9 years. They cap our days though. =(

    I am a new follower and would love for you to visit me when you get the chance. =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the owl pattern! I think I'm going to have my 5th graders make their own on the first day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome thank you! I'm going to use this as a pattern to sew an owl pillow and maybe a shirt applique as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there! Used this pattern for a scrappy owl - worked great! Perfect sizing. I think kids could do it too with felt and glue if they can't sew it. See it here if you like: http://2crochethooks.com/scrappy-owl-softee/

    ReplyDelete